What is the STEP Council of the Genesee Region?
STEP is a Not-for-profit [IRS tax exempt 501(c)(3)] organization which has its roots with a group of physicians who volunteered to train ambulance personnel in 1963, three years before the EMS White Paper Accidental Death and Disability: The Neglected Disease of Modern Society was published by the Institute of Medicine.
Today STEP is comprised of Physicians, Nurses, Paramedics, EMTs, and others who have all come together to continue the spirit of EMS improvement started in the 1960′s, and to develop new programs as well. The members of STEP are all volunteers and STEP devotes 100% of its revenue to our mission. Please visit our History of STEP page for our complete story.
The mission of STEP is to educate and promote innovations and opportunities for the improvement of emergency servics.
- The 21st annual STEP Conference is scheduled for March 26-28, 2015 at the RIT Inn and Conference Center.
- Registration is Not Open yet for the 2015 STEP Conference. Please check back after February 1, 2015.
- The Emergency Services Directory, www.EmergencyServicesDirectory.org, provides a single source of online contact information for over 4900 emergency response agencies in the 62 counties in New York State and many national resouce organizations which support emergency services. It is capable of expansion to other regions.
- Our History and Archives committee collects historical documents, equipment, and stories about these emergency services for the EMS archives
- The STEP Endowment Fund was established in 1996, to provide funds for the development of methods to improve Emergency Medical Services in the region. Many of STEP’s projects such as the Emergency Services Directory and annual STEP Conference are supported by these funds.