What is the STEP Council of the Genesee Region?
STEP is a Not-for-profit [IRS tax exempt 501(c)(3)] organization which has its roots with a group of physicians who volunteered to train ambulance personnel in 1963, three years before the EMS White Paper Accidental Death and Disability: The Neglected Disease of Modern Society was published by the Institute of Medicine.
Today STEP is comprised of Physicians, Nurses, Paramedics, EMTs, and others who have all come together to continue the spirit of EMS improvement started in the 1960′s, and to develop new programs as well. The members of STEP are all volunteers and STEP devotes 100% of its revenue to our mission. Please visit our History of STEP page for our complete story.
The Mission of STEP is to inform and educate the Emergency Medical Services (EMS) community and promote opportunities in the improvement of the EMS system.
- Our History and Archives committee is busy collecting historical documents, equipment, and stories for the EMS archives.
- The Conference Committee is committed to the continuation of our practice of delivering quality Continuing Medical Education and up-to-date information about trends and practices directly to EMS providers through our annual conference. The 18th annual STEP Conference is scheduled for March 21-23, 2013 at the RIT Inn and Conference Center.
- Registration for the 2013 Conference is now open! We will be adding a few more sessions in the near future, but registrants may modify their registration at anytime as sessions are added. For more information, please check the registration site.
- The Emergency Services Directory is currently being expanded to include all counties in New York State and is capable of expansion to other regions. The Directory provides online contact information for all emergency response agencies as well as many resource organizations that support emergency services. Regional printed versions will soon be available. Visit www.EmergencyServicesDirectory.org
- The STEP Endowment Fund was established in 1996, to provide funds for the development of methods to improve Emergency Medical Services in the region. Many of STEP’s projects such as the Emergency Services Directory and annual STEP Conference are supported by these funds.